Tuesday, June 13, 2006

More on Hoyer and Net Neutrality

I have calmed down a little bit, and did some research. Go to this web site and see how your Congress person voted:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?tab=main&bill=h109-5252

Then I went out to Open Secrets and reviewed my Congress person's contributions. Hoyer has received $73,750 just in this election cycle. Or around 9% of the contributions. While that doesn't sound like a lot, it is the 4th largest contributing sector for our man Hoyer. So I think I may take notice if someone gave me that much money.

Looking at his PAC contributions, we see that Bell South and Qwest are in the list. Thinking ... There is not Qwest or Bell South in his district. There is also a limited amount of Comcast.


Then I looked at Direct Contributors and I find that there is $10,000 from the National Cable & Telecommunications Assn who we see is clearly against Net Neutrality. They are very sneaky in how they say that their against it. They imply that Net Neutrality is a form of regulation that will stifle the progress of the Internet. While it is regulation, it is a regulation to help keep the Internet as a free marketplace for ideas and information.

I wonder who Hoyer consulted about this. Or if he even bothered to listen to anyone besides the NCTA and Industry? He should also look at the fact that most of his money comes from Individuals and if they have to pay more for Internet then the will be less likely to give him money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home