Friday, May 26, 2006

Ahh ... Yeah!

Corporate Power: End of the Enron Era?

When I first caught this article, I thought someone had hijacked the American Progress Action Fund's email list and created a spoof email.  I am quite pleased that they sent out an email like this, because I think most Americans will believe that the 10 - 11 guys that have been caught are now convicted, so this whole mess is behind us.  Not true.

I have been a huge proponent of anti-corporatism, but I am a hypocrit after all because I am currently working for a large company (nobody is clicking on the Google ads, and apparently you aren't telling your friends about me either).  There is very little that any of us can do about it.  The our elected officials love their corporate backers so they don't/won't take them to task.  We people can't afford to not shop at our local mega mart because going to a locally owned market costs to much.  I try to stick as close as I can to the 100-mile diet, but there again it is a change because a gallon of mil costs twice a much if I try to get local milk of where I know the source. 

I have been trying to trudge through David Sirota's book Hostile Takeover, but so far I have gotten very little in the way of things that we can do differently.  Especially since the corporations are the ones in control of the bulk of the media.  Even when someone like NBC puts on a show like The Book of Daniel (remember?), it gets yanked because some who hasn't even seen the show is offended and the advertisers are getting ready to pull out.

It was my hope that when someone like Al Gore was going to get involved with a television network I was thinking that it would have been something worth watching (Liberal version of Fox perhaps?). 

Now that you have made it through that rant I get down to, tell your conservative friends that they need to get their act together and get information from sources that aren't mainstream.  Rawstory.com, a good start. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home